An emotional Brillantes told reporters at the Commission on Elections Tuesday that he is mulling resignation amid opposition to reforms he is initiating.
"Siguro I would just have to rest a little, one day or two days, and maybe talk to the President... and say, 'Baka ako ang problema,' (Perhaps I would just have to rest a little, one or two days, and maybe talk to the President... and say 'Maybe I'm the problem')," reports quoted Brillantes as saying.
He added that he would just have to think seriously about telling President Benigno Aquino III to consider "assigning someone else" for his post.
The poll chief's statement comes hours after the Supreme Court issued a status quo ante order on the rollout of lower airtime limits for political ads.
The high court earlier this month also issued a ruling remanding to the Commission on Elections cases of party-list groups it has earlier barred from joining the May polls.
The 73-year-old Brillantes noted that he did not want the job given to him in the first place, adding that he may be too old for it.
"Nagtratrabaho lang ako rito (I'm just doing my job. I'm making the reforms necessary," the election chairman said.
"Pero kung TRO TRO lang, at saka status quo ante, bakit ko naman pahihirapan ang sarili ko rito? (But why would I make my life difficult and face TRO after TRO and status quo ante orders?)," he added.
The poll chief on Monday said preparations for national and local elections are 90 percent complet and remain ahead of schedule.
"We are practically ready. This is a work in progress and we are already in the finishing stage," Brillantes has said.