Home » » SC asks AFP to tell about Jonas Burgos : View all documents

SC asks AFP to tell about Jonas Burgos : View all documents

Written By Real Kevin Jay on Saturday, April 13, 2013 | 9:54 AM

Relatives of victims of enforced disappearance wear masks in commemoration of the International Day of the Disappeared, in Quezon City in Quezon City, northeast of Manila. The group, families of Victims of Involuntary Disappearance (FIND), said that they have documented 1,825 reports of enforced disappearance from the Marcos regime to the present administration. Enforced disappearance is considered to be the arrest, detention, abduction or any form of deprivation of liberty by agents of the State. (Mike Alquinto/NPPA Images)
The Supreme Court has ordered the military to bare all documents and point the location of officials linked to the alleged abduction of activist Jonas Burgos six years ago.

The high court issued the ruling Friday, giving credence to new evidence presented by Burgos' mother, Edita, to prove the military's involvement in her son's disappearance.

The SC said it directed Armed Forces chief of staff Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista, "to submit to the Court a confidential report on the present location and/or whereabouts of these military personnel [listed in the after apprehension report dated April 30, 2007]."

The apprehension report the Court was referring to was among the new evidence presented by Burgos' mother, Edita, to prove military involvement in her son's disappearance.

Aside from disclosing the officers' location, Armed Forces has also been ordered to "ensure that these military personnel can be located and served with the processes that this Court may serve, if any."

Burgos, the son of late press freedom icon Jose Burgos, was last seen at a Quezon City mall on April 28, 2007, where his family claims he was abducted by members of the AFP.

The military has repeatedly evaded the Court's attempts to look into documents that may push the investigation forward.

The Burgos case again made headlines recently, after Mrs. Burgos asked the SC to order the Court of Appeals to reopen the case given fresh evidence.

Aside from the apprehension report, these included a photo of Burgos believed to have been taken after he was nabbed, a pscyho-social processing report and Burgos' autobiography.

Earlier this month, Malacanang said President Benigno Aquino III wants a "focused, dedicated, and exhaustive investigation" on the case.

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima had ordered the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to conduct such a probe, the Palace said.

The high court on Friday issued a similar directive to the NBI to assist the Commission on Human Rights, which is looking into the abduction.

It has also issued a temporary protection order for the Burgos family after Mrs. Burgos claimed that "she fears for her own personal security in light of the sensitive nature of the newly-discovered evidence."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers